The law I'm calling "Ortega II" passed its third (and final) reading in the Guatemala Congress today. Assuming President Berger signs it, the Hague will be implemented effective 12/31/07 (as opposed to the 4/1/08 deadline that was in a bill that never got voted on).
The new law contains a grandfather clause for in-process cases. There is a requirement that the attorneys register these cases with the new Central Authority by January 30, 2008. (They basically need a list of who gets grandfathered in.) The Central Authority (to be called the CNA) has not yet been set up. It will be made up from a representative from three different organizations, and they each are supposed to name their representatives by January 14, and then write regulations by February 28.
This is, of course, good news in terms of bringing Daniel home! We're not sure yet how the logistics of setting up the CNA will affect us, if at all. We also hear rumblings that the ADA may sue, charging that the law is unconstitutional, and who knows what that would mean. We'll let you know if there are further developments.
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I was following this very closely and praying for a grandfather clause! I am so happy! You are going to get Daniel home....soon too!
Best wishes.
(((((HUGS))))
Amy
I will continue to pray for you and your family...but, things are looking good. Daniel will be home soon!
Hooray! This grandfather clause is radical.
Post a Comment