Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Bubba

I feel like a lot has happened since I last posted a few weeks ago. Time just FLIES! Daniel is growing up so fast. We just marvel at how much he understands. Tonight while I was getting him in his PJs, he started chewing on the changing table strap. (He's been teething.) I asked him, "Do your teeth hurt?" He nodded yes. "Do you want some medicine?" He nodded yes again. I just love that he can answer yes/no questions!

He recently started saying "car," so whenever we're about to get in the car, he says "car car." A few days ago, I got out a bottle of bubbles Danny received as a birthday party favor; I know they have a bubble machine at school, and he seems to like it. When I started blowing bubbles, Danny surprised me by saying "bubba! bubba!" while he happily chased them.

Daniel must feel like we're dim bulbs when he's telling us something that he thinks is so obvious, and we don't get it. (I know I thought adults were idiots when I was really little!) Like tonight, he was making the sign for "milk," but when we offered him his cup of milk, he pushed it away, shook his head "no," and cried. We tried water, but no. "Are you hungry?" (Just in case he messed up his signs.) "No!" "Do you want a banana?" "NO!!" (Angry crying.) On and on, while he's frantically making the milk sign with both hands, like he's saying, "Do you not SEE what I'm telling you people?!" Finally, I got the idea that even though there was plenty of milk in his cup, he wanted to see me pour the milk into it. Sure enough, that did the trick; the crying stopped immediately.

We've had lots of fun with some of Daniel's grandparents the last couple of weekends. One of his favorite things is riding the carousel at the mall. Eric and I took Danny to meet Grandma Jeanie at the mall for a quick ride two weekends ago. (He still only wanted to ride on the bench; the horses were too scary.) That was so much fun, we decided to walk to the other end of the mall and ride the little train, which was a first for us. He really enjoyed that! We saw a man pushing his child in a shopping cart shaped like a car, so I found out where he got it, and we had to get one for Danny. It's great, the mall rents them for free for as long as you want them. So Daniel "drove" around the mall awhile. Then Grandpa Bernie joined us, and Daniel pointed at the carousel and wanted to ride it again, so he rode with Grandpa. By then, it was lunchtime, so we went to the food court, and Danny ate off our plates. Very handy to be pretty much done with baby food! Unfortunately, my camera had a dead battery, so none of this fun was preserved for posterity (except in this blog!)

Last Sunday, Grandpa D and Grandma Carol came for a visit, and we did the whole mall thing again, with two differences. First, Daniel let Daddy put him on a horse on the carousel! And second, my camera worked. Afterwards, Grandpa and Grandma joined Daniel and me at Gymboree, and Danny was very outgoing and participative. He even talked into the toy microphone when Miss Gina brought it around to him. (It amplifies their voices, and encourages speech development.) Yes, it was just babble, but it was the first time he did more than blow into the thing. Carol took pictures, which I will post when I get them.

Eric, Danny and I also went to Travel Town in Griffith Park last Saturday. We took a train ride (bigger than the one at the mall), and checked out the train museum. When we have more time, we'll go to the zoo.

In other news, I went to a parents meeting at Daniel's "school" last week, and got to meet a lot of the other moms. I got to see some pictures of Danny playing with the other kids. And I found out some interesting things, like who his best friend there is (a little girl named Nara, about a month younger than Danny, whose mom I really like). Nara's mom said, "Did you know Sara had to separate Danny and Nara at naptime, because all they want to do is talk, talk, talk?" No, I did NOT know that! LOL A couple of the moms mentioned how they noticed how Daniel has outgrown his shyness and is much more social and outgoing. That was really nice to hear. Of course, as soon as he sees me in the afternoon, he's running to me, arms outstretched, and ready to go, so I don't get to see him interact with the other kids much. It's the same for the other parents; we see each other's kids a lot differently than we get to see our own. I also found out Daniel likes to draw, although he hasn't done much with the crayons I've given him. We did do some sidewalk chalk drawing yesterday, though. And apparently they're going to do some arts and crafts projects for Rosh Hashana, which I will proudly display on the fridge!

I'm sure I'm forgetting some really cute moments (like the plethora of kisses we get every day, and D playing peekaboo with the baby at school), but this is about all I can write tonight. I'll just finish by saying that I LOVE being Daniel's mommy!













No comments: